The secret to good health
The secret to good health is simple really… a healthy diet with food grown in the garden, fresh air, exercise and a quiet mind. A visit to Swiss herbal medicine guru Alfred Vogel’s home in Switzerland leaves Maria McHale asking why we are making good health so complicated?
Getting out in the fresh air was touted by our grandmothers as a cure for all ills – they were not far wrong. You can’t get much fresher air than that in the Swiss Alps and a visit to the home and factory of herbal medicine guru Alfred Vogel leaves me asking the question: ‘why do we make good health so complicated?”
Vogel, a guru of plant medicine, travelled the world in search of herbal remedies and brought them back to his native Switzerland, determined to enhance the health and well-being of his growing numbers of patients.
Fresh food and plants for good health
He worked as a naturopath at his home in Teufen, Switzerland and developed and manufactured the first natural remedies using fresh plants to heal and improve his patients ailments.
Today the Bioforce Vogel factory continues Vogel’s legacy, producing extracts from freshly harvested plants which he believed had a better, wider and deeper effect than the standard extracts from dried plants.
Vogel probably did more than anyone else to put the potential healing qualities of echinacea on the map, widely regarded for its antibacterial, anti-inflammatory and analgesic properties.
His garden was his working laboratory and he invited his patients to come and stay in his home while he worked on making them well again.
The Vogel philosophy was simple – as well as his own herbal treatments, he prescribed a simple regime for his patients – a walk in the hills every day, home cooked meals made with vegetables and herbs from the garden eaten very slowly and a good night’s sleep.
Good health principles
So very simple and yet we get so many conflicting health messages that it might be wise to just stick to his principles!
- Go out in nature regularly – Vogel believed if you strayed too far from nature, you became unbalanced so he wanted people to understand the power of nature on our mental and physical state.
- Listen to your body – adopt a diet filled with natural foods for maximum health.
- Take responsibility for your health – you know what to do – adopt a natural diet and healthcare regime and stick to it.
- Find balance in all things – too many late nights, too much work, too much junk food – all put us out of balance. Acknowledge that you need rest and relaxation to heal.
- Look after your environment and respect nature and the earth.
- Don’t fight the symptoms – he advocated looking for and eliminating the causes of ill health rather than medicating the symptoms.
- Try and stick with organic – Vogel believed that the best result came from food and plants grown without pesticides and always freshly grown.
- Love is everything – find it, give it, be open to it.
Vogel’s legacy lives on with the Bioforce range of herbal medicines, still formulated from plants grown organically in the Swiss Alps.
Try the approach above and check out these favourite treatments:
Echinacea Sore Throat spray
Feel a sore throat brewing, check out Echinacea Sore Throat spray, made with echinacea and sage extracts which seems to stop those sore throat symptoms in their tracks.
Dormeasan® Sleep remedy
Struggling to sleep, check out Dormeasan® , a herbal sleep remedy made from extracts of freshly harvested, organically grown Valerian root and Hops which aids restful sleep.
Menoforce® Sage tablets
Banish hot flushes with sage – these Menoforce® Sage tablets have gained a reputation as a simple way of helping deal with excessive sweating, hot flushes and night sweats during the menopause.
You can find out more at https://www.avogel.com