Tips for a better life
We asked motivation expert Pat Divilly for his tips for a happier, more successful life and his strategy advice for anyone who wants to make changes in their lives but are not sure how.
Check out his great advice here:
Tips for a Better Life
1. Take a 10-30 minutes walk every day. And while you walk, smile.
2. Sit in silence for at least 10 minutes each day.
3. Sleep for 7 hours.
4. Live with the 3 E’s — Energy, Enthusiasm, and Empathy.
5. Play more games.
6. Read more books than you did the previous year.
7. Make time to practice meditation, yoga, and prayer. They provide us with daily fuel for our busy lives.
8. Spend time with people over the age of 70 & under the age of 6.
9. Dream more while you are awake.
10. Eat more foods that grow on trees and plants and eat less food that is manufactured in plants.
11. Drink plenty of water.
12. Try to make at least three people smile each day.
13. Don’t waste your precious energy on gossip.
14. Forget issues of the past. Don’t remind your partner with his/her mistakes of the past. That will ruin your present happiness.
15. Don’t have negative thoughts or things you cannot control. Instead invest your energy in the positive present moment.
16. Realize that life is a school and you are here to learn. Problems are simply part of the curriculum that appear and fade away like algebra class but the lessons you learn will last a lifetime.
17. Eat breakfast like a king, lunch like a prince and dinner like a beggar.
18. Smile and laugh more.
19. Life is too short to waste time hating anyone. Don’t hate others.
20. Don’t take yourself so seriously. No one else does.
21. You don’t have to win every argument. Agree to disagree.
22. Make peace with your past so it won’t spoil the present.
23. Don’t compare your life to others’. You have no idea what their journey is all about. Don’t compare your partner with others.
24. No one is in charge of your happiness except you.
25. Forgive everyone for everything.
26. What other people think of you is none of your business.
27. However good or bad a situation is, it will change.
28. Your job won’t take care of you when you are sick. Your friends will. Stay in touch.
29. Get rid of anything that isn’t useful, beautiful or joyful.
30. Envy is a waste of time. You already have all you need.
31. The best is yet to come.
32. No matter how you feel, get up, dress up and show up.
33. Do the right thing!
34. Call your family often.
35. Your inner most is always happy. So be happy.
36. Each day give something good to others.
37. Don’t over do. Keep your limits.
38. Share this with someone you care about.
If you’re feeling stuck with your life and need to make a change, then Pat advises taking action.
You need to make a DECISION.
He says: “Life is split between people who really live and people who just exist. The people who exist wake up in the morning and go with the flow. They let other people and circumstances control how they feel. They watch other people push toward their goals and do things they wish they could do too.
People who LIVE decide what they want and wake up ready to take on the world. They don’t let other people bring them down or control their destiny. They take on their goals by pushing forward every day. They take the attitude that if someone else can do something so can they. REMEMBER YOU’VE GOT ONE LIFE TO LIVE. Why spend it watching other people pursue their dreams.”
Take the challenge
So here is challenge for you today: DECIDE ON SOMETHING TODAY, AND MAKE YOURSELF ACCOUNTABLE. Pay up for a half marathon or mud run even if you don’t feel ready. Tell your friends and family you are going to do it to keep yourself accountable. Pay a deposit for a holiday you’ve been promising yourself for too long. Buy the flowers for a loved one that you’ve been thinking about for so long…
Just do it! Like any muscle, you will strengthen or weaken your decision making ‘muscle’. If you keep procrastinating and shying away from decision, it gets harder and harder. If you take action and go for it, the opposite happens.
If you want help with making a change, check out Pat’s one day mindset seminar, Pat Divilly Live, which takes place on October 17th in the G Hotel, Galway. You can book now for the early bird rate of €100: BOOK HERE.
A three day Mindset retreat will run from 9th-11th October, for anyone who is looking to accelerate their goals, mindset, health, fitness and get results. You can find out more here: 3 DAY RETREAT.